Global Handwashing Day 2022
Global handwashing day is observed on 15th October every year globally. It was established in 2008 and held by the Global handwashing partnership. This day is observed to create and raise awareness about the importance of handwashing with soap to prevent diseases and save lives. The theme of World Handwashing Day 2022 is to Unite for Universal Hand Hygiene.
- Encourage and support a handwashing culture both globally and locally.
- Bring attention to the state of handwashing around the world.
- Raise awareness about the advantages of handwashing with soap.
Please keep reading to know more about Global Handwashing Day.
Why Is Handwashing Important?
Regular washing of your hand is one of the easiest and best ways to remove and prevent the spread of germs. It can help to stop the spread of bacteria and viruses such as cold and flu and even coronavirus COVID-19. Use soap and alcohol-based hand sanitizers to wash the hands thoroughly.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the following steps are used for proper handwashing, which takes 40-60 seconds. This handwashing step includes:
- Wet the hands with clean and running water (hot or cold water).
- Use soap to clean all over the hand surfaces
- Rub hands palm to palm for at least 20 seconds
- Rub interlaced fingers, right palm over the left hand, and vice versa
- Rub Palms to palms, fingers interlaced
- Rub the back of your fingers
- Rotational rubbing of right and left thumbs
- Rotational rubbing on each palm
- Rinse your hand with water
- Dry completely with a clean and fresh towel
- Utilize the towel to close the tap
Regular handwashing will keep you and your loved ones stay healthy, especially during these crucial times when you are more likely to acquire and transfer germs:
- Before and after eating food
- Before, during, and after cooking
- Before and after treating a wound
- Before and after contact with the sick persons
- After changing diapers
- After use of the toilets
- After touching a pet or other animal
- After handling pet food, animal feed, or animal waste
- After coughing, sneezing, or blowing your nose.
- After touching garbage and cleaning around the house
- After being outside
Importance Of Handwashing In Healthcare Setups
Regular handwashing is the best strategy to stop the spread of healthcare-associated infections (HAI) to patients, employees, visitors, and caretakers in all healthcare settings. Doctors and nurses must wash their hands before and after contact to protect themselves as well as patients from infections. It is necessary to wash hands after handling patient care devices, such as blood glucose monitors. Pharmacists and other pharmacy staff members must wash their hands before compounding or preparing medications for injection. Patients and their caregivers can protect themselves by washing their hands.
Don’t Spread Germs, Wash Your Hands!
This World handwashing Day 2022 encourages people to learn about the benefits and importance of handwashing. Educate your friends and family about the necessity of handwashing and how and when to do it. Raising awareness of the various handwashing techniques will help to reduce disease, decrease the transmission of germs, and enhance the quality of life.