ACTON PROLONGATUM 60IU INJECTION
CORTICOTROPINManufacturer : FERRING PHARMACEUTICALSOrigin of Medicine : India
Acton Prolongatum 60IU Injection is a synthetic Corticotropin (ACTH) indicated for the management of infantile spasms, multiple sclerosis, eye disorders, rheumatic disorders and systemic lupus erythematosus. It is also preferred for diagnosing adrenal insufficiency and pituitary disorders. Adrenal insufficiency occurs due to inadequate secretion of glucocorticoid and mineralocorticoid by the adrenal glands.
Our body naturally produces corticotropin hormone (ACTH) from the hypothalamus which is essential for producing steroids. Low levels of ACTH lead to a condition called adrenal atrophy.
Uses of Acton Prolongatum 60IU Injection:
- Treatment of infantile spasms, acute exacerbations in multiple sclerosis, allergic and inflammatory conditions of the eye, rheumatic disorders and systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Evaluation of adrenal function to detect adrenal insufficiency.
- Diagnosis of pituitary-adrenal axis disorders
How Acton Prolongatum 60IU Injection works:
Acton Prolongatum 60IU Injection acts on MC2R receptors on adrenal glands and stimulates the production of glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids and adrenal androgens. The ACTH binds with carboxymethylcellulose to prevent enzyme breakdown and ensures a prolonged duration of action.
Interaction with other drugs:
Inform your doctor about any medications you are taking or have taken before the treatment.
Store at (2-10˚C). Protect from light.
- Gundgurthi, Abhay & Garg, M K & Dutta, M & Pakhetra, R., Intramuscular ACTH stimulation test for assessment of adrenal function. J Assoc Physicians India, 2013, 61, 320-4, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260003252_Intramuscular_ACTH_stimulation_test_for_assessment_of_adrenal_function
- Duchowny MS, Chopra I, Niewoehner J, Wan GJ, Devine B, A systematic literature review and indirect treatment comparison of efficacy of repository corticotropin injection versus synthetic adrenocorticotropic hormone for infantile spasms, JHEOR, 2021, 8(1), 1-9, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7839629/pdf/jheor_2021_8_1_18727.pdf
- MIMS, [Revised on 2021] [Accessed on 6th Jul 2021], https://www.mims.com/philippines/drug/info/corticotropin?mtype=generic#disclaimer
- KD Tripathi, Anterior Pituitary Hormones, Essentials of Medical Pharmacology, 8th Edition, 2019, 257-266.
- Wagmode NB, Mathew V, Bantwal G, Ayyar V, George B, Patanjali CP, et al. It is time to Carpe Diem with porcine ACTH –A comparison of porcine sequence corticotropin to tetracosactide hexacetate in testing the hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis in healthy individuals, Indian J Endocr Metab, 2018, 22, 636-40, https://www.ijem.in/temp/IndianJEndocrMetab225636-2538033_070300.pdf
How to use Acton Prolongatum 60IU Injection:
Your physician will administer this injection through an intramuscular or subcutaneous route. Your physician will determine the dose and frequency depending on the severity of your condition.
Inform your physician before starting this treatment if you are pregnant or think you might be pregnant.
Consult your physician for advice before breastfeeding during this treatment
Inform your physician before starting this treatment if you have liver diseases. Your physician will monitor your liver functions regularly.
Inform your physician before starting this treatment if you have kidney diseases. Your physician will monitor your kidney functions regularly.
Avoid driving or using machinery if you experience side effects.
Inform your physician if you experience allergic reactions to Corticotropin or its ingredients.
- Inform your physician if you have preexisting problems such as high BP, psychiatric disturbances, heart disorders, recent surgery, eye problems, myasthenia gravis or thyroid disease.
- Inform your physician before starting this treatment if you have diabetes, gastrointestinal diseases, bone disorders or seizures.
- Your physician will monitor your serum cortisol levels at regular intervals.
Side effects are unwanted symptoms caused by medicines. Even though all drugs cause side effects, not everyone gets them.
- Adrenal suppression
- Cushing’s syndrome
- Electrolyte disturbances
- Severe allergic reactions
- Immune system suppression
- Psychiatric disturbances
- Fluid retention
- High BP
- Eye problems
- High blood glucose levels
- Bone problems
- Diarrhea, vomiting
- Fever and infections
- Weight gain
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.