This page contains brief details about the drug , it's indication, dosage & administaration, mechanism of action, related brands with strength, warnings and common side effects.
Background and Date of Approval
Glutathione is an antioxidant and a health supplement that is approved by the Philippines Food and Drug Administration.
Mechanism of Action of undefined
Glutathione is a natural substance produced by the liver, which plays a significant role in protecting the cells from oxidative damage. It consists of amino acids glutamine, cysteine and glycine. an imbalance in glutathione subjects the body to various chronic diseases like cancer, neurodegenerative disorders, cystic fibrosis, HIV and aging. Glutathione supplementation helps in protecting the cells and tissues from damage and reduces oxidative stress.
Uses of undefined
Glutathione has been developed to improve detoxification and reduce oxidative stress in case of chronic health conditions like Alcoholic liver disease, liver cirrhosis, liver damage in viral infections (HIV/ HCV), gastritis. It also protects cancer patients from the side effects of platinum-based chemotherapy.
undefined Drug administaration and Dosage available
Glutathione is available in the form of film coated tablets (250mg, 500mg), capsules (50mg) and injection (600mg). The recommended dose of oral glutathione is 1 or 2 tablets/capsules per day or as recommended by healthcare professionals. Recommended dose for glutathione injection is 300 to 600 mg daily through intravenous or intramuscular route. For best results, it is advisable to inject twice weekly in either arm.
Warnings, Precautions and Side Effects of undefined
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience symptoms of infections or skin allergies. During the Glutathione injection treatment, your doctor may periodically monitor your thyroid, liver and kidney parameters to prevent serious complications. Report to your doctor if you have had a history of any other medical conditions.
It is not known if glutathione interferes with pregnancy or breastfeeding. Hence, it is advisable to tell your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, think you could be pregnant, breastfeeding or planning to have a baby.
Some of the most common side effects of glutathione injection include skin reactions like pruritus, red spots, Steven Johnson's Syndrome. contact your health-care provider immediately if you experience severe stomach pain, infections or tiredness. glutathione tablet is generally safe to use and is not associated with any major side effects. however if you experience any undesirable effects after taking the tablet, contact your physician for advice.. If you experience any allergic reactions such as severe skin allergies or stomach pain, report to your doctor immediately.
Word Of Advice
Glutathione can cause tiredness hence it is advisable to avoid driving or handling machines. Apply cool compress at the injection site to reduce the pain.
Frequently Asked Question
- La Renon Healthcare Private Limited, [Revised on 2020] [Accessed on 22nd April 2023], https://www.larenon.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/THIOTRES-Inj-Tab-LBL.pdf
- Hopewell Pharmacy and Compounding Center, [Accessed on 22nd April 2023], https://alsworldwide.org/assets/prescriptions/Glutathoine_prescriptions_and_instructions_2017.pdf
- Joseph Pizzorno, Glutathione!, Integrative Medicine, Published on 2014,[Accessed on 22nd April 2023], https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4684116/pdf/8-12.pdf
- Phillipine Dermatological Society, [Revised on 2018] [Accessed on 22nd April 2023], https://pds.org.ph/public-advisory-on-glutathione-as-a-skin-whitening-agent/
- Sinee Weschawalit et al., Glutathione and its anti aging and anti melanogenic effects, Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2017; 10: 147–153,[Accessed on 22nd April 2023], https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5413479/
- Sarah Cook, Oral Availability of Glutathione, Natural Medicine Journal Research Guide, 2017, [Accessed on 22nd April 2023], https://www.naturalmedicinejournal.com/sites/default/files/glutathione_final_digital.pdf
The drug information on this page is not a substitute for medical advice, it is meant for educational purposes only. For further details consult your doctor about your medical condition to know if you are eligible to receive this treatment.