This page contains brief details about the drug , it's indication, dosage & administaration, mechanism of action, related brands with strength, warnings and common side effects.
Background and Date of Approval
Lorlatinib is a targeted cancer medication that was approved for its medical use on 2nd November 2018.
Mechanism of Action of undefined
Lorlatinib Tablet is a biological agent that acts as targeted drug therapy in cancer treatment. It is classified as a kinase inhibitor and comes under the class of ALK and ROS-1 inhibitor. Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase and ROS proto-oncogene are the two genes that promote cellular proliferation and tumour growth in non-small cell lung cancer by undergoing mutation. It works by inhibiting the cell signaling of these genes, ultimately inhibiting tumour growth.
Uses of undefined
Lorlatinib Tablet has been developed to treat adults with Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that resulted due to mutation in Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase and ROS-1 genes and has spread to other parts of the body.
undefined Drug administaration and Dosage available
Your doctor will decide the dose and duration of Lorlatinib based on the disease condition and other factors. Take the tablet at the same time everyday, with or without food. Do not chew, crush, or break the tablet. Swallow the whole tablet with water. If you forgot to take the tablet, simply take your next dose at the scheduled time. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
Warnings, Precautions and Side Effects of undefined
Tell your Healthcare provider before starting this treatment if you have kidney problem, breathing trouble, seizures, depression, diabetes, heart problems or high blood pressure. During the Lorlatinib Tablet treatment, your doctor may periodically monitor your blood pressure, blood sugar, liver, cholesterol and kidney parameters to prevent serious complications. Report to your doctor if you have had a history of heart failure, depressive episodes or seizures. Get immediate medical attention if you are feeling very thirsty, sick, weak or tired.
Lorlatinib Tablet may decrease fertility in males which could affect your ability to father a child. Male patients with female sexual partners should use an effective contraceptive during this treatment and continue for at least three months after the last dose of Lorlatinib. It is recommended for female patients to do a pregnancy test before beginning this treatment as Lorlatinib is not recommended for use during pregnancy. Discuss effective non hormonal contraceptive methods with your health care provider and use them during this treatment and continue for at least six months after the last dose.
The common side effects that are likely to occur while you are on the treatment with Lorlatinib Tablet are swelling of arms, legs, hands and feet, numbness and tingling, weight gain, forgetfulness, confusion, tiredness, breathing difficulty, joint pain, diarrhoea, depression, irritability, high cholesterol and triglyceride levels, cough. If you experience any adverse reactions such as breathlessness, hallucination or suicidal thoughts, report to your doctor immediately
Word Of Advice
Lorlatinib Tablet might cause breathing difficulty and problems with thinking. Hence it is advisable to avoid driving or operating machines during this treatment. Tell your Healthcare provider before starting this treatment if you are taking any prescription medicines, over the counter medicines, vitamins or herbal supplements.
Frequently Asked Question
- Pfizer Ltd, [Revised on Mar 2021] [Accessed on 1st April 2023], https://labeling.pfizer.com/ShowLabeling.aspx?id=11140&Section=PPI
- Pfizer Ltd, Electronic medicines compendium (emc), [Revised on March 2021] [Accessed on 1st April 2023], https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.10632.pdf
- Pfizer, US Food and Drug Administration, [Revised on March 2021] [Accessed on 1st April 2023], https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2021/210868s004lbl.pdf
- Alice T Shaw et al; First-Line Lorlatinib or Crizotinib in Advanced ALK-Positive Lung Cancer; The New England Journal of Medicine; Published on 19/11/2020;[Accessed on 1st April 2023]; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33207094/
- Haidar El Darsa, Omar Abdel-Rahman & Randeep Sangha (2020) Pharmacological and clinical properties of lorlatinib in the treatment of ALK-rearranged advanced non-small cell lung cancer, Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, 21:13, 1547-1554,[Accessed on 1st April 2023], https://doi.org/10.1080/14656566.2020.1774552
- Gafer H, de Waard Q, Compter A, van den Heuvel M. Rapid regression of neurological symptoms in patients with metastasis ALK+ lung cancer who are treated with lorlatinib: a report of two cases. BMJ Case Rep. 2019 Jul 24;12(7):e227299,[Accessed on 1st April 2023], https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6663151/pdf/bcr-2018-227299.pdf
The drug information on this page is not a substitute for medical advice, it is meant for educational purposes only. For further details consult your doctor about your medical condition to know if you are eligible to receive this treatment.