This page contains brief details about the drug , it's indication, dosage & administaration, mechanism of action, related brands with strength, warnings and common side effects.
Background and Date of Approval
Morepenem + EDTA + Sodium is an antimicrobial agent that belongs to the medication class known as carbapenem antibiotics.
Mechanism of Action of undefined
Meropenem, in the presence of Sodium, kills bacteria by inhibiting cell wall synthesis. It has a strong affinity for specific penicillin-binding proteins (PBPs) in Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. EDTA, in the presence of Sodium, helps enhance the efficacy of other antimicrobials by removing ions from the cell wall of Gram-negative bacteria.
Uses of undefined
Morepenem + EDTA + Sodium is used to treat pneumonia, urinary tract infections, intra-abdominal infections, gynecological infections, skin infections, meningitis, and sepsis.
undefined Drug administaration and Dosage available
Meropenem + EDTA + Sodium will be administered to you by a healthcare professional in a hospital setting. It is usually administered as an injection or infusion in the vein (intravenous). Your doctor will decide the dose, route of administration, and frequency based on your disease condition and other factors.
Warnings, Precautions and Side Effects of undefined
Do not consume Meropenem + EDTA + Sodium if you are allergic to Meropenem + EDTA + Sodium, Penicillins, Cephalosporins, Carbapenems, or any of the ingredients in the medication. Before starting the treatment, notify your doctor if you have liver or kidney problems or have experienced severe diarrhea after taking other antibiotics.
Notify your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to get pregnant, or think you may be pregnant or breastfeeding. Patch test the medicine before using it to check for skin allergies. While you are on treatment, it is possible to have a positive Coombs test, indicating the presence of antibodies that may affect red blood cells. Do not stop the medicine until your doctor advises. Do not double-dose the medicine to make up for a forgotten dose. Notify your doctor if you experience any serious side effects.
The most common side effects of Morepenem + EDTA + Sodium are headache, stomach pain, being sick, increased numbers of platelets in the blood, and diarrhea.
Word Of Advice
In case you experience signs of severe skin reactions, promptly notify your doctor or nurse for appropriate treatment. Inform your doctor if you are on a sodium diet, as this medicine contains Sodium. Before starting the treatment, inform your doctor about all the underlying medical conditions. Contact your doctor for more information.
Frequently Asked Question
- ACS Dobfar S.p.A, Electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC), [Revised on January 2022] [Accessed on 2nd July 2023], pil.9074.pdf (medicines.org.uk)
- Alniche, [Accessed on 2nd June 2023], https://www.alniche.com/product/meropik-edta/
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP. US Food and Drug Administration [Revised in June 2010] [Accessed on 9th July 2023] https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2008/050706s022lbl.pdf
- Nephro-Tech, Inc., [Revised on Apr 2014] [Accessed on 05 Jul 2021], https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/getFile.cfm?setid=a709f56a-08d0-4fe5-a9ed-e237a745be97&type=pdf
- Alliance Pharmaceuticals Limited, Electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC), [Revised on Mar 2017] [Accessed on 05 Jul 2021], https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.3911.pdf
- Categories of Oral Iron, Society for the Advancement of Blood Management, Inc., 2020, https://sabm.org/wp-content/uploads/2ai-Categories-Oral-Iron.pdf
The drug information on this page is not a substitute for medical advice. It is meant for educational purposes only. For further details, consult your doctor about your medical condition to know if you are eligible to receive this treatment.