World Mental Health Day 2022
In the last few years, mental health has become the talk of the town. Every single person is struggling with their emotions. From fear, sadness, grief, distress, and anxiety to depression, various emotions are battled by people today. Some people are unaware of their mental health, while people with awareness don’t know how to communicate.
The 10th of October marks World mental health day every year globally to raise awareness, among people regarding mental health, and break the stigma around it. World mental health day was officially established by the World Federation of Mental Health (WFMH) in 1992. The World Health Organization (WHO) endorses this event every year.
The theme of World Mental Health Day 2022 is to make mental health & well-being a global priority.
Top 9 Tips To Take Care Of Mental Health
1. Recognize and watch out: There are good and bad days. But when something is bothering and stressing you out constantly, then it becomes important not to ignore it. Recognizing the signs of mental health problems is important as it helps seek help before the condition and situation worsen.
2. Communicate your feelings with the person you trust: Talking to a family member, friend, or colleague and sharing what you feel with them can help calm your anxiety and relieve stress.
3. Get help from a professional: Many times, talking to your near and dear ones is difficult as you cannot figure out your own emotions. In such instances, it is important to seek professional health before mental health is further aggravated. Seeking help from a therapist, counsellor, or doctor can help you better understand and process your feelings and emotions.
4. Take care after your physical health: Mental and physical health are connected, so taking good care of your physical health is essential for better mental health. Exercising regularly and eating a good healthy diet are some things you can do for your physical and mental well-being.
5. Meditate: Practising meditation or even simple breathing and relaxation exercises daily can help relieve stress, improve concentration, and improve mental health.
6. Get enough rest: Sleeping is essential for better functioning of the body. Sleeping is necessary to help your mind and body relax. A minimum of 7 to 8 hours of quality sleep is essential for overall well-being. Change your sleeping habits, as not getting enough sleep can affect your mental health.
7. Practice gratitude: Writing down things you are grateful for in a diary or journal and talking about what you are thankful for during therapy or self-help groups can help you see the positive things in life. Even when time gets tough, the attitude of gratitude will help you overcome it by seeing life and situations from a positive perspective.
8. Practice self-care: Do what you love. Practice self-care by doing things you enjoy, like painting, listening to music, playing games, or reading books. Doing what you love will make you feel at peace and happy, which will help you achieve better mental health.
9. It’s okay to take time off: Many times, workload, work pressure, family situations, financial stresses, etc., can make a huge dent in our mental health. In times like these, it is okay to take a break and stay away from what’s affecting your mental health for a while.
Your Mental Health Is Your Priority, Your Mental Health Matters
Life is not easy, every day is a new challenge, and mental health often takes a back seat with increasing lifestyle changes. Looking after mental health is very important as it not only affects us and those around us. Some people might think of it as being irresponsible or selfish. However, taking time out for yourself is essential, as your mental health matters the most.
This World Mental Health Day 2022, make your mental health a priority. Take care of yourself, and do the things that make you happy. This World Mental Health Day 2022, raise awareness about the importance of mental health among your kith and kin. Ensure to respect and value other people’s mental health. To celebrate this mental health awareness day, do something to make someone happy, and bring a smile to someone’s face, as happiness is contagious.