Did you find this information helpful?
Cytotam 20mg Tablet
Salt Composition : Tamoxifen Citrate
Manufacturer : CIPLA LTD
Origin of Medicine : India
10 Tablet(s) In A Strip
Introduction to Cytotam 20mg Tablet
Cytotam 20mg Tablet contains Tamoxifen citrate. It is used to treat and prevent breast cancer. It is also used to treat infertility in women caused by a failure to produce and release eggs properly. Cancer is a disorder in which cells multiply in an uncontrolled and abnormal manner.
Cytotam 20mg Tablet should not be used if you are pregnant, taking treatment for infertility, taking medicines to treat blood clots, and if you have had or having blood clots with the cause not known. Talk to your doctor if you have uterine cancer or other problems with your uterus, irregular periods, abnormal vaginal bleeding, or had a stroke before taking this medicine. Use effective birth control during the treatment and for at least 9 months after the last dose.
Uses of Cytotam 20mg Tablet
Cytotam 20mg Tablet is used to
- Treat adults with metastatic estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer (cancer that has spread to other parts of the body)
- Treat adults with early-stage estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer (after radiation and surgery for breast cancer)
- Reduce the risk of getting breast cancer in (other breast in adults after treatment for breast cancer & in women with a high risk of getting breast cancer)
- Treat infertility in women
- Reduce the risk of invasive breast cancer in women with DCIS (Ductal carcinoma in situ – cancer of the lining of milk ducts in the breast)
Therapeutic Effects of Cytotam 20mg Tablet
Cytotam 20mg Tablet competes with estrogen (sex hormone) for binding to the estrogen receptor, decreases the estrogen receptor-dependent growth in breast tissue, and slows down the growth of cancer cells.
Interaction of Cytotam 20mg Tablet with other drugs
Inform your doctor about any prescribed medications, over-the-counter medications, nutritional or vitamin supplements, and herbal products that you are taking or have taken before the treatment. Certain medications may interact with Cytotam 20mg tablet and decrease its effectiveness by causing undesirable side effects.
More Information about Cytotam 20mg Tablet
- Keep Cytotam 20mg Tablet out of sight and reach of children.
- Do not store above 25°C.
How to consume Cytotam 20mg Tablet
Always take Cytotam 20mg Tablet exactly as your doctor has told you. You can take this medicine with or without food. Do not crush or chew the tablets.
Safety Advices for Cytotam 20mg Tablet
Cytotam 20mg Tablet is contraindicated in pregnant women. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant before taking this medicine.
It is unsafe to breastfeed while taking this medication. Inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding before taking Cytotam 20mg Tablet.
It is unknown whether Cytotam 20mg tablet can be administered in patients with lung problems. Please consult your doctor if you have any lung problems before starting the treatment with this tablet.
There is limited information available on the use of Cytotam 20mg Tablet in patients with liver disease. Please consult your doctor if you have any liver problems before starting the treatment with this tablet.
It is unsafe to consume alcohol with Cytotam 20mg Tablet. Please consult your doctor for more advice.
Avoid driving if you feel tired while being treated with Cytotam 20mg Tablet.
Side Effects of Cytotam 20mg Tablet
Side effects are unwanted symptoms caused by medicines. Even though all medicines cause side effects, not everyone gets them.
- Blood clot (chest pain, shortness of breath, feeling weak, swelling of leg or calf)
- Swelling of lips, face, tongue, or throat, difficulty swallowing or breathing, itching
- Unusual vaginal bleeding, vaginal discharge, irregular periods
- A feeling of discomfort in the lower tummy (pain or pressure)
- Swelling of feet, ankles, or hands
- Nausea, vomiting
- Skin rash, hot flushes
- Changes in vision, taste
- Numbness or tingling in the skin
- High levels of fats in your blood
- Leg cramp
- Headache, feeling light-headed
- Diarrhea, constipation
- Abnormal liver function
- Muscle pain
- Thinning of hair
- Itching of genitals
Word of Advice
Inform the doctor if the patient is allergic or intolerant to glucose, liver, kidney problems, and other medications for different medical conditions. This medication should be taken daily at a fixed time. Don't overdose on this medication as it causes severe complications. This medication is not recommended in pregnancy as they cause harmful effects in the developing baby. Inform the doctor if the patient is breastfeeding and undergoing treatment for fertility before starting this medication. It is unsafe to drive and handle heavy machinery as they cause dizziness and patients may lack concentration.
Q 1. Can I stop taking the Cytotam 20mg Tablet if I am feeling well?
No, this medication should not be stopped without the proper advice of the doctor as it causes severe complications.
Q 2. How to take a Cytotam 20mg Tablet?
This medication should be taken as per the advice of the doctor, and it should be taken daily at a fixed time with or without food. Don't break or chew this medication and take it as a whole with a glass of water.
Q 3. Is Cytotam 20mg Tablet estrogen blocker?
Yes Tamoxifen citrate is a estrogen blocker and it is an anticancer medication used to treat breast cancer and infertility in women
Q 4. Can Cytotam 20mg Tablet be given to children?
No, this medication is not recommended in children below 18 years of old. Consult the doctor before taking this medication.
Q 5. Does Cytotam 20mg Tablet cause body pain?
Joint pain and arthralgia are the most common side effects of this medication, and inform the doctor before taking this medication.
Q 6. Can I use a Cytotam 20mg Tablet while driving?
No, it is unsafe to take this medication while driving as it causes dizziness, and patients may lack concentration while driving.
Fact Box of Cytotam 20mg Tablet
|Molecule name: Tamoxifen Citrate||Therapeutic class: Anti-cancer, Infertility|
|Pharmacological class: Estrogen Receptor Antagonist|
1. Breast cancer
2. Infertility Problems
- Goodman & Gilman’s, The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, Estrogens and progestins, 12th edition, 2011, 1177 - 1178.
- KD Tripathi, Essentials of Medical Pharmacology, Estrogens, progestins and contraceptives, 7th edition, 2013, 313.
- Wockhardt UK Limited, Electronic medicines compendium (emc), [ Revised on July 2018] [ Accessed on 2nd July 2021], https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.2248.pdf
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP, US Food and Drug Administration, [ Revised on Aug 2004] [ Accessed on 2nd July 2021], https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2005/17970s053lbl.pdf
MrMed’s primary intention is to ensure that its consumers get information that is reviewed by experts, accurate and trustworthy. The information and contents of this website are for informational purposes only. They are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of your doctor and discuss all your queries related to any disease or medicine. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on MrMed. Our mission is to support, not replace, the doctor-patient relationship.
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.