FOSBAIT 500MG TABLET
LANTHANUM CARBONATEManufacturer : MANKIND PHARMACEUTICALS LIMITEDOrigin of Medicine : India
Fosbait 500mg Tablet consists of the active ingredient Lanthanum Carbonate. It is indicated to treat high phosphate levels in the blood (hyperphosphatemia) in patients with end-stage kidney disease undergoing dialysis. End-stage kidney disease is the stage of kidney disease where a patient requires renal replacement therapy like dialysis due to irreversible deterioration of kidney function.
Patients with end-stage kidney disease retain phosphorous and develop hyperphosphatemia. This could lead to a condition called secondary hyperparathyroidism. High levels of phosphorous in your blood could lead to deposits in your bone called calcification. Calcification stiffens your blood and makes the pumping of blood difficult.
Hyperphosphatemia could also lead to itchy skin, red eyes, bone pain and fractures. This can be treated by using phosphate-binding drugs and following dietary restrictions of foods with high phosphate content (milk, cheese, eggs and protein-rich foods).
Uses of Fosbait 500mg Tablet:
- Treatment of hyperphosphatemia
How Fosbait 500mg Tablet works:
Fosbait 500mg Tablet works by reducing the body's absorption of phosphate from food by binding with it in the digestive tract. This prevents absorption of the phosphate by the intestine wall and ultimately reduces the phosphate levels in the blood.
Interaction with other drugs:
Inform your physician regarding any medicines you are taking or have taken before the treatment.
Store below 25°C. Protect from light and moisture.
- Panacea Biotec Ltd., [Revised on Dec 2017] [Accessed on 11th Aug 2021], https://media.panaceabiotec.com/documents/2018/4/3/FosbaitPIApr2018.pdf
- Shire Pharmaceuticals Limited, Electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC), [Revised on 27th Aug 2018] [Accessed on 11th Aug 2021], https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.323.pdf
- J. Goddard, A.N. Turner, Kidney and urinary tract disease, Davidson's Principles & Practice of Medicine, 22nd Edition, 2014, 461-523.
- Daniel D. Bikle, Agents That Affect Bone Mineral Homeostasis, Lange's Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, 14th Edition, 2018, 772-791.
How to use Fosbait 500mg Tablet:
This tablet should be chewed and not intended to be swallowed whole. Take immediately after food.
Fosbait 500mg Tablet is not recommended for use during pregnancy. Inform your physician before starting this treatment if you are pregnant or think you might be pregnant.
Consult your physician for advice before taking this medicine if you are a breastfeeding mother.
Inform your physician before starting this treatment if you have liver diseases.
Inform your physician before starting this treatment if you have kidney diseases.
Fosbait 500mg Tablet may cause dizziness and a spinning sensation. Avoid driving or using machinery if you experience such symptoms.
Inform your physician before taking this medicine if you are sensitive to this medicine or any of its ingredients.
- Inform your physician before taking this medicine if you have low phosphorous levels, stomach ulcers, bowel problems or other problems.
- Inform your physician before taking this medicine if you have recently undergone surgery or are about to take an X-ray.
- Check with your physician if you have been told that you are intolerant to certain sugars.
- Your physician will monitor your blood calcium levels before and during this treatment.
Side effects are unwanted symptoms caused by medicines. Even though all medications cause side effects, not everyone gets them.
- Allergic skin reactions
- Low calcium levels in the blood
- Stomach pain
- Nausea, vomiting
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.