ALKACEL 2MG TABLET
MELPHALANManufacturer : CELON LABORATORIES LTDOrigin of Medicine : India
Alkacel 2mg Tablet is a chemotherapy medication containing the active ingredient melphalan. It is used in treating multiple myeloma (kind of cancer that occurs in bone marrow cells, which helps the body fight infection), advanced ovarian cancer and breast cancer. It is also used in polycythemia vera (A condition in which the red blood cells in the body increase, thickens, and forms clots).
Bone marrow suppression is a major adverse effect associated with Alkacel 2mg Tablet. Your doctor will frequently analyze the blood counts (Platelets, hemoglobin, red blood cells and white blood cells) to determine the optimal dosage and prevent toxicity.
Inform your doctor if you recently have had radiotherapy, chemotherapy, vaccination, have kidney disorders, or have taken or are taking any antibiotics before taking Alkacel 2mg Tablet. Melphalan may harm the sperm or eggs. Use effective birth control during the treatment with this medication.
Uses of Alkacel 2mg Tablet:
- Multiple myeloma
- Advanced ovarian cancer
- Breast cancer
- Polycythemia vera
How Alkacel 2mg Tablet works:
It reduces the number of abnormal cells produced in the body by damaging the hereditary material of cancer cells.
Interaction with other drugs:
Inform your doctor about any medications you are taking or have taken before the treatment.
- Keep out of sight and reach of children.
- Store refrigerated at 2°C and 8°C.
- Return any leftover medicines to the pharmacist as they should be disposed of under dangerous substances guidelines.
- KD Tripathi, Essentials of Medical Pharmacology, Anticancer drugs, 7th edition, 2013, 860.
- GlaxoSmithKline, US Food and Drug Administration, [ Revised on June 2007] [ Accessed on 1st April 2021], https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2011/014691s030lbl.pdf
- Aspen Pharma Trading Limited, Electronic medicines compendium (emc), [ Revised on Jan 2017] [ Accessed on 1st April], https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/3806/smpc
How to use Alkacel 2mg Tablet:
Take Alkacel 2mg Tablet in the dose and duration prescribed by your specialist physician for treating blood cancer. Swallow the tablets as a whole. Do not break or chew tablets. Your dosage will be varied on the basis of your blood counts.
The use of Alkacel 2mg Tablet should be avoided during the pregnancy as it causes ovarian suppression, it may harm the sperm or eggs. Both males and females should not take this medicine while planning for pregnancy. Consult your doctor for potential risks of this medication.
The Alkacel 2mg Tablet should be avoided during breastfeeding; inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding before taking this medicine.
Inform your doctor if you have any kidney diseases before taking this medicine.
Inform your doctor if you:
- Have had chemotherapy or radiotherapy recently.
- Are taking or have taken antibiotics recently.
- About to have a vaccination.
Side effects are unwanted symptoms caused by medicines. Even though all medicines cause side effects, not everyone gets them.
- Fever or infection
- Bruising or bleeding
- Cardiac arrest
- Sudden wheeziness, tightness of chest
- Swollen face, eyelid, lips
- Rash or lumps on the skin
- Irreversible bone marrow failure
- Liver disorders
- Nausea, vomiting
- Hair loss
- Lower blood counts
- Mouth ulcers
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.