Did you find this information helpful?
Dacilon 0.5mg Injection
Salt Composition : Dactinomycin
Manufacturer : CELON LABORATORIES LTD
Origin of Medicine : India
Introduction to Dacilon 0.5mg Injection
Dacilon 0.5mg injection belongs to the medication class known as antibiotics. It is an antineoplastics medicine that contains the active ingredient Dactinomycin. It is used to treat different cancer disorders such as Wilms’ tumor (a type of kidney cancer that usually occurs in children, Ewing’ sarcoma (a type of bone cancer), melanoma (skin cancer), testicular and uterus cancer, Rhabdomyosarcoma (rare kind of cancer in muscle). It works by inhibiting the reproduction cells (especially abnormal cells).
Do not take Dacilon 0.5mg if you are allergic to Dactinomycin or its other ingredients if you have chickenpox or shingles. This medicine may cause kidney, liver, and bone marrow (myelosuppression) problems. So, report to your doctor if you have any underlying medical conditions. Before starting the treatment, inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant or breastfeeding. Use effective contraception during and after the treatment; women for six months and men for three months even after the treatment. Additionally, you might also be prescribed radiotherapy; if you are receiving radiotherapy, your doctor will monitor you to protect you from the side effects. Notify your doctor if you took any X-rays or antibacterial treatment.
The common side effects of Dacilon 0.5mg are infections, fever, rectum inflammation, muscle pain, fertility, and kidney problems. See your doctor immediately if you experience any unusual symptoms. If you spill or splash the medicine, it must be washed immediately and need medical action as this medicine can cause severe skin tissue damage.
Uses of Dacilon 0.5mg Injection
- Ewing’ sarcoma (bone cancer)
- Rhabdomyosarcoma (muscle cancer)
- Melanoma (skin cancer)
- Wilms’ tumor (kidney cancer usually appears in children)
- Testicular and uterus cancer
Therapeutic Effects of Dacilon 0.5mg Injection
Dacilon 0.5mg binds to DNA and inhibits protein synthesis in cancer cells, thereby slowing the growth and multiplication of cancer cells.
Interaction of Dacilon 0.5mg Injection with other drugs
Inform your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription, over-the-counter, nutritional and vitamin supplements, vaccines, and herbal products. Certain medications may interact with the effects of Dacilon 0.5mg and reduce its effectiveness by causing undesirable side effects.
More Information about Dacilon 0.5mg Injection
- Store at a temperature below 25˚C.
- Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Keep the vials away from direct sunlight.
- Keep this medicine out of sight and reach of children.
How to consume Dacilon 0.5mg Injection
Dacilon 0.5mg injection is administered as an intravenous infusion into the vein or directly into the cancer site. If this injection is recommended for you, it will be given by a healthcare professional. Do not self-administer. Your physician will choose the dosage and administration frequency based on the medical condition because it differs for each person.
Safety Advices for Dacilon 0.5mg Injection
Dacilon 0.5mg is unsafe to use during pregnancy as it may cause harmful effects on the unborn baby. Report to your doctor if you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant or planning for the pregnancy before starting the treatment.
Breastfeeding during this Dacilon 0.5mg is unsafe. Depending on your condition, your physician might suggest you stop breastfeeding for some time.
Inform your physician about any underlying lung disorders before taking Dacilon 0.5mg. Consult your physician before taking this medicine. Notify your doctor if you experience any lung-related symptoms, such as difficulty breathing or inflamed lungs.
Inform your physician about any underlying liver disorders before taking Dacilon 0.5mg, as this medication should be used cautiously in liver disease patients. Consult your physician before taking this medicine.
It is unknown whether consuming alcohol while taking a Dacilon 0.5mg injection is safe. Please speak with your physician.
It is unknown whether driving while taking a Dacilon 0.5mg injection alters driving ability. Do not drive if you experience any side effects.
Side Effects of Dacilon 0.5mg Injection
Side effects are unwanted symptoms caused by medicines. Even though all medicines cause side effects, not everyone gets them.
- Bacterial infection in the bloodstream (shivering, diarrhea, sudden chill)
- Severe bleeding, inflammation of the vein
- Facial or tongue swelling, skin and muscle pain accompanied by fever and chills
- Blisters covering a large portion of the body, peeling off the skin, red or purplish rash
- Tumor lysis syndrome (muscle spasm, decreased urine flow, irregular heartbeat)
- Liver problems (difficulty breathing with thoracic pain, confusion, seizures, sweet breath odor)
- Lower blood cells (RBC, WBC, platelet)
- Nausea, vomiting
- Inflammation of the rectum
- Tiredness, feeling unwell
- Fertility problems
- Inflammation of the lungs, chest pain
- Difficulty swallowing, mouth ulcers, sore throat, cracked lips
- Tingling in hands and feet
- Difficulty in breathing with thoracic pain
- Stomach pain, ulcers, Loss of appetite
- Blood clot
- Skin rashes, acne, increased darkness in the skin
- Hair loss
- Soft tissue damage
- Blurry vision
Word of Advice
Inform your physician about any underlying kidney disorders before taking Dacilon 0.5mg, as this medication should be used cautiously in kidney disease patients. Consult your physician before taking this medicine. It is advised not to get pregnant while taking this medicine. Notify our doctor if you are taking or have recently taken any other medications. Report to your doctor if you experience any side effects, especially fever or bleeding. Your doctor will check on you to monitor your response to the treatment. Discuss your fertility problem with the doctor since this medicine could cause fertility issues as its side effects.
Q 1. Why do I feel numbness and tingling while taking Dacilon 0.5mg?
Dacilon 0.5mg can damage these nerves, leading to numbness, tingling, or a burning sensation in the hands and feet. If you are experiencing this while taking this treatment, it is important to inform your doctor.
Q 2. How is Dacilon 0.5mg dosage determined?
Dacilon 0.5mg dosage is based on several factors, including the type and stage of the cancer being treated, the individual's overall health, and their response to the treatment.
Q 3. What is the precaution for Dacilon 0.5mg?
Inform your doctor if you have any underlying medical conditions with kidney, liver, or bone marrow. Notify your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant or breastfeeding.
Q 4. When should I use contraception? During or after the treatment of Dacilon 0.5mg?
It is advised to use during and after the treatment of Dacilon 0.5mg. Women should use six months; for men, it's three months after the last dose.
Q 5. Does Dacilon 0.5mg cause any side effects to the eyes?
Blurring eyes is one of the most common side effects of eyes with Dacilon 0.5mg. If you experience any side effects, contact your doctor immediately.
Fact Box of Dacilon 0.5mg Injection
Molecule name: Dactinomycin
Therapeutic class: Antineoplastics
Pharmacological class: Antibiotics
1. Ewing’ sarcoma (bone cancer)
2. Rhabdomyosarcoma (muscle cancer)
3. Melanoma (skin cancer)
4. Wilms’ tumor (kidney cancer usually appears in children)
5. Testicular and uterus cancer
- KD Tripathi, Essentials of Medical Pharmacology, Anticancer drugs,7th edition, 2013, 867.
- Goodman & Gilman’s, The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, Cytotoxic Agents, 12th edition, 2011,1712.
- Recordati Rare Diseases, US Food and Drug Administration, [ Revised on August 2018] [ Accessed on 9th April 2021], https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2018/050682s033lbl.pdf
- Recordati Rare Diseases, Electronic medicines compendium (EMC), [ Revised on September 2019] [ Accessed on 9th April], https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5360/pil
MrMed’s primary intention is to ensure that its consumers get information that is reviewed by experts, accurate and trustworthy. The information and contents of this website are for informational purposes only. They are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of your doctor and discuss all your queries related to any disease or medicine. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on MrMed. Our mission is to support, not replace, the doctor-patient relationship.
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.