MYELOSTAT 500MG CAPSULE
HYDROXYUREAManufacturer : ZYDUS CADILAOrigin of Medicine : India
Myelostat 500mg Capsule is an anticancer medication containing the active ingredient hydroxyurea. It is used to treat chronic myeloid leukemia (cancer of white blood cells) and polycythemia vera (cancer of red blood cells). It is used to treat cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, melanoma (skin cancer), head and neck cancer. Cancer is a disorder in which cells multiply in an uncontrolled and abnormal manner.
It is used to treat sickle cell anemia (inherited blood disease in which healthy red blood cells are insufficient). This medication may be used to treat other conditions not mentioned here. You need to talk to your physician if you have any blood disorders, severe anemia, kidney disorders, liver disorders, gout, leg ulcers, folic acid deficiency, have an intolerance to some sugars before taking Myelostat 500mg capsule.
Be sure to tell your health care professional if you have had or currently have any chemotherapy or radiotherapy and if you recently received or are about to have any vaccination. Men and women should use effective birth control during the treatment and for at least 12 months and 6 months, respectively. Use sunscreen and wear protective clothing during the treatment with Myelostat 500mg Capsule.
Uses of Myelostat 500mg Capsule:
- Ovarian cancer
- Polycythemia vera
- Chronic myeloid leukemia
- Cervical cancer
- Head and neck cancer
- Sickle cell anemia
How Myelostat 500mg Capsule works:
Myelostat 500mg Capsule inhibits the enzyme ribonucleoside diphosphate reductase, which is essential for the synthesis of genetic material (DNA). This prevents the growth and multiplication of cancer cells. In sickle cell anemia, hydroxyurea makes your red blood cells bigger, helps them stay flexible and rounder by increasing the special type of hemoglobin called hemoglobin F.
Interactions with other drugs:
Inform your doctor about any medications you are taking or have taken before the treatment.
- Keep Myelostat 500mg Capsule out of sight and reach of children.
- Store below 30°C.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceuticals Unlimited Company, Electronic medicines compendium (emc), [Revised on August 2021] [ Accessed on 6th Dec 2021], https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.271.pdf
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, US Food and Drug Administration, [Revised on March 2016] [ Accessed on 6th Dec 2021], https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2016/016295Orig1s047,s048Lbl.pdf
- Goodman & Gilman’s, The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, Cytotoxic agents, 12th edition, 2011, 1721.
- KD Tripathi, Essentials of Medical Pharmacology, Anticancer drugs, 7th edition, 2013, 868.
- Rohit Kumar Agarwal et al; Hydroxyurea in Sickle Cell Disease: Drug Review; Indian Journal of Hematology & Blood Transfusion; Published on June 2014; Accessed on 06/12/2021; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4022916/#__ffn_sectitle
- Ciplamed; Accessed on 06/12/2021; https://www.ciplamed.com/content/cytodrox-capsules
How to use Myelostat 500mg Capsule:
Take Myelostat 500mg Capsule in a dose and duration prescribed by your doctor. Swallow the capsules whole with water. If you find difficulties in swallowing them, empty the capsule contents into a glass of water and drink them immediately. Do not inhale the contents of the capsule and if contents get spilled on the skin, wipe it immediately.
Myelostat 500mg Capsule should not be taken during pregnancy as it can harm the baby. You need to tell your physician if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant before taking this medicine.
Myelostat 500mg Capsule should not be taken if you are breastfeeding. You need to tell your physician if you are breastfeeding before taking this medicine.
You need to tell your physician if you have any liver disorders before taking Myelostat 500mg Capsule, as this medication should be used with caution in liver disorder patients.
You need to tell your physician if you have any kidney disorders before taking Myelostat 500mg Capsule, as this medication should be used with caution in kidney disorder patients.
Myelostat 500mg Capsule can cause drowsiness. Avoid driving if you are unwell.
Talk to your physician if:
- You have an intolerance to some sugars.
- You have recently received or are about to have any vaccinations.
- You have had or currently having chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
- You have blood disorders, severe anemia, gout, leg ulcers, or folic acid deficiency.
- You have alcohol addiction.
Side effects are unwanted symptoms caused by medicines. Even though all medicines cause side effects, not everyone gets them.
- Severe allergic reactions (swelling of face, lips, or throat, difficulty in breathing, itching, rashes, peeling of nails and skin, unexplained chills, fever, or sore throat)
- Lower back pain
- Black tarry or bloody stools
- Bruising or bleeding
- Rash on the face or other body parts (in some cases, it may be purple, scaly, and raised)
- Muscle weakness
- Sore on the mouth or lips
- Pain during urination
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal discomfort, diarrhea, constipation
- Hair loss
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.