PROSTAL 500MCG INJECTION
ALPROSTADILManufacturer : CELON LABORATORIES LTDOrigin of Medicine : India
Prostal 500mcg Injection consists of the active ingredient Alprostadil. It is a synthetic form of prostaglandin that is naturally produced by the body. It is an injection administered to newborn babies into the vein or artery.
When a baby is in the womb, its heart has a unique, small blood vessel known as the ductus arteriosus that allows blood to pass through the heart without passing through the lungs. After the baby is born and breathes normally, the ductus arteriosus closes by itself.
This injection is used if your baby has a heart condition that requires the ductus arteriosus to remain open until the condition is corrected by surgery.
Uses of Prostal 500mcg Injection:
- To keep the ductus arteriosus open in case of heart abnormalities in babies until the defect is corrected through surgery.
How Prostal 500mcg Injection works:
Prostal 500mcg Injection relaxes the muscles in the wall of the ductus arteriosus. It inhibits platelet aggregation and contracts smooth muscles in the intestine.
Interaction with other drugs:
Inform your doctor about any medications you are taking or have taken before the treatment.
Store in a refrigerator (2–8˚C), away from the reach of children.
- Pfizer Limited, Electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC), [Revised on Apr 2021] [Accessed on 11th Jun 2021], https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.1092.pdf
- John Hwa, Kathleen Martin, The Eicosanoids: Prostaglandins, Thromboxanes, Leukotrienes, & Related Compounds, Lange’s Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, 14th Edition, 2018, 321-338.
How to use Prostal 500mcg Injection:
This injection should be administered by a qualified physician only at a healthcare centre where intensive care facilities are immediately available if needed.
Inform your physician if your baby is allergic to Alprostadil or its ingredients.
- Inform your physician if your baby tends to bleed easily or has obstructed blood flow.
- Inform your physician if your baby has respiratory distress syndrome, interrupted breathing or slow heartbeat.
- This injection could thicken the stomach wall. Talk to your physician if your baby has feeding problems.
Side effects are unwanted symptoms caused by medicines. Even though all drugs cause side effects, not everyone gets them.
- Interrupted breathing
- High body temperature
- Slow heartbeat
- Low BP
- Flushing of the skin
- Low potassium levels in the blood.
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.